Friday 28 October 2011

Scientists Identify Gene Linked to Cold Sores


Findings could eventually lead to new treatments for outbreaks of oral herpes, researchers say
Researchers have identified a certain gene associated with susceptibility to herpes simplex labialis, more commonly known as cold sores.
People who carry this gene may have more frequent and severe outbreaks of the small blister-like lesions that appear around the mouth, the new study said. The researchers noted that their findings could lead to the development of new treatments for the herpes simplex virus type 1, which infects 70 percent of the U.S. population, according to a news release from the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
In the study, investigators identified an area on human chromosome 21 among 618 people from 43 large families where six genes that have been previously linked to cold sores are located. They found one gene in particular, known as C21orf91, was linked to more frequent outbreaks.
"While these findings await confirmation in a larger, unrelated population, these findings could have important implications for the development of new drugs that affect determinants of the cold sore phenotype," study author Dr. John Kriesel and colleagues at the University of Utah School of Medicine in Salt Lake City and the University of Massachusetts Medical School explained in the release.
In an editorial accompanying the study, published online Oct. 28 in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, Australian scientists noted that if the findings are confirmed, more research could also begin to investigate whether this gene also plays a role in genital herpes.
More information
The U.S. National Library of Medicine has more about cold sores.

2 comments:

  1. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Azaka herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes simplex virus cure. ,I just want to share this article about Dr Azaka who helped me, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (Hsv 2) by Dr Azaka,  i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Familiar , Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Azaka cured them, when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problem, my HERPES result came out negative, I pray to God to never let me and my family forget you in our life,i am now cured permanently from this deadly virus that almost took my life , you can also Contact Dr Azaka today via drazakaojezele@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349059389105
    This is real, He also has herbal cure for some other issuer like ....
    Eczema urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,In fections,ulcer ETC

    ReplyDelete