Saturday 29 October 2011

Hantavirus


Hantavirus is a life-threatning disease spread to humans by rodents that has symptoms similar to influenza.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Hantavirus is carried by rodents, especially deer mice. The virus is found in their urine and feces, but it does not make the animal sick.
It is believed that humans can get sick with this virus if they come in contact with contaminated dust from mice nests or droppings. You may come in contact with such dust when cleaning homes, sheds, or other enclosed areas that have been empty for a long time.
Hantavirus does not spread between humans.
Rodents carrying the hantavirus have been found in many U.S. national parks. Campers and hikers may be more likely to catch the disease than most people. This is because they pitch tents on the forest floor and lay their sleeping bags down in musty cabins.
However, only a couple of cases have been directly linked to camping or hiking. Most people who are exposed to the virus have come in contact with rodent droppings in their own homes.

Symptoms

The early symptoms of hantavirus disease are similar to the flu and include:
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Muscle aches
People with hantavirus may begin to feel better for a very short amount of time, but within 1-2 days, it becomes hard to breathe. The disease gets worse quickly. Symptoms include:
  • Dry cough
  • General ill feeling (malaise)
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Shortness of breath

Signs and tests

The health care provider will perform a physical exam. This may reveal:
  • Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
  • Kidney failure
  • Low blood pressure (hypotension)
  • Low blood oxygen levels, which cause the skin to turn a blue color
The folllowing tests may be done:
  • Blood tests to check for signs of hantavirus
  • Complete blood count (CBC)
  • Complete metabolic panel
  • Kidney and liver function tests

Treatment

People with hantavirus are admitted to the hospital, often to the intensive care unit (ICU).
Treatments will include:
  • Oxygen
  • Breathing tube or breathing machine in severe cases
  • A medication called ribavirin to treat kidney-related problems and reduce the risk of death
There is no effective treatment for hantavirus infection involving the lungs.

Expectations (prognosis)

Hantavirus is a serious infection that gets worse quickly. Lung failure can occur and may lead to death. Even with aggressive treatment, more than half of people who have this disease in their lungs die.

Complications

Complications of hantavirus may include:
  • Kidney failure
  • Heart and lung failure
These complications can lead to death.

Calling your health care provider

Call your health care provider if you develop flu-like symptoms after you come in contact with rodent droppings or rodent urine, or dust that is contaminated with these substances.

Prevention

Avoid exposure to rodent urine and droppings.
  • When hiking and camping, pitch tents in areas where there are no rodent droppings.
  • Avoid rodent dens.
  • Drink disinfected water.
  • Sleep on a ground cover and pad.
  • Keep your home clean. Clear out potential nesting sites and clean your kitchen.
If you must work in an area where contact with rodent urine or feces is possible, follow these recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
  1. When opening an unused cabin, shed, or other building, open all the doors and windows, leave the building, and allow the space to air out for 30 minutes.
  2. Return to the building and spray the surfaces, carpet, and other areas with a disinfectant. Leave the building for another 30 minutes.
  3. Spray mouse nests and droppings with a 10% solution of chlorine bleach or similar disinfectant. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Using rubber gloves, place the materials in plastic bags. Seal the bags and throw them in the trash or an incinerator. Dispose of gloves and cleaning materials in the same way.
  4. Wash all potentially contaminated hard surfaces with a bleach or disinfectant solution. Avoid vacuuming until the area has been thoroughly decontaminated. Then, vacuum the first few times with enough ventilation. Surgical masks may provide some protection

    source:- NCBI

5 comments:

  1. There is a cure to Hantavirus,
    My husband was infected with Hantavirus,and now he is completely cured from it.
    we got the contact of Dr Ben from the Internet and we contacted him,
    he gave us the medication which my husband used and it is a permanent cure,
    and now he is living fine with me.
    He also specialize in curing
    Cancer
    Diabetes
    Weak erection of the Pennis
    Epilepsy.
    any body with similar issues can contact the Doctor at benardleo13@gmail.com
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much delighted to every viewers that is reading this,am from new jersey and i want to inform the whole public of how me and my husband got cured from hantavirus,i was diagnosed of hantavirus since 14 months and also find out that my hantavirus virus also effected my lover,this disease started circulating all over my body, and i have also taken treatment from my doctor,few weeks back i came on the internet to see if i will be able to get any information as to curing this disease, on my search i saw various testimony of someone who was healed from hantavirus by the great man called Dr ABUMERE and i told my husband about it and without any hesitation, i contacted his email: abumereherbalcentre@gmail.com i wrote him and and he guided me,i asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for the both of us and indeed 2week after me and my husband started using the medicine, we were completely cured no dot was found on my body and of my husband,so dear viewer why wasting your time living with this STD infection you can contact him now he is able to cure any kinds of disease such as 1. Diarrheal Diseases,2. HERPES 1/2,3. CANCER,4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease),5. Herpatitis B,6.chronic pancreatitis,7.Emphysema,8.COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease),9.asthma,10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma,11.CHRONIC PANCREATITIS,12. Preterm Birth Complications.contact his Email abumereherbalcentre@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HERPES CURED WITH NATURAL ROOTS AND HERBS

    Greetings to the general public,I am from Philadelphia,i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Lusanda .i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how (drlusandaherbal@gmail.com) cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me through COURIER that i took and it seriously worked on me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Lusanda go God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem, you can also reach him on personal email address, Drlusandaherbal@gmail.com or website on www.drlusandaherbals.weebly.com

    DOCTOR Lusanda CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:

    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Herpatitis B
    6.chronic pancreatitis
    7.Emphysema
    8.COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
    9.asthma
    10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma
    11.ATRIAL FIBRILLATION
    12.ASBESTOSIS
    13.parkinson's

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband was diagnosed several years ago with emphysema. He was able to quit smoking and we stayed on top of any illness. He has been hospitalized with pneumonia every year. His breathing has been getting worse but oxygen levels stay in the 97 to 98 range except when he's in hospital. For a year now he has been passing out. It is only for 1 to 3 minutes and was only when he would start coughing. The doctor changed his medications around but he passes out when breathing a bit hard. Also his feet swell up and are numb all the time. He then started using a cane. i searched for alternative treatment before i was introduced to Health herbal clinic by a friend here in the United states she told me they have successful herbal treatment to Emphysema and other lungs diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the Emphysema herbal formula for my husband and he commenced usage, its totally unexplainable how all the symptoms totally dissapeared, his cough was gone and he no longer experience shortness of breath(dyspnea), contact this herbal clinic via their email healthherbalclinic@ gmail. com Or website www. healthherbalclinic. weebly. com. Herbs are truely gift from God

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete