Monday 24 October 2011

Biomarker detects graft-versus-host-disease in cancer patients after bone marrow transplant


Test may help rapid identification of severe graft-versus-host disease of the intestine in hematopoietic cell transplant patients with leukemia, lymphoma or other blood disorders

A University of Michigan Health System-led team of researchers has found a biomarker they believe can help rapidly identify one of the most serious complications in patients with leukemia, lymphoma and other blood disorders who have received a transplant of new, blood-forming cells.
Known as a hematopoietic stem cell transplant, these patients receive bone marrow or peripheral blood stem cells from a matched donor who is either a family member or an unrelated volunteer.
The most common fatal complication of this type of transplant is graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), where the newly transplanted immune system of the donor attacks the patient’s skin and internal organs. Up to 30 percent of recipients develop GVHD in their gastrointestinal tract, which is the organ most resistant to treatment.
Without invasive tests such as biopsies, however, GVHD can be difficult to distinguish from other causes of gastrointestinal distress, such as infection or side effects from medication.
The U-M team tested blood samples from over 1,000 patients who were treated in Ann Arbor, Germany and Japan.
“We believe we’ve found a reliable biomarker in the patients’ blood that is specific to graft-versus-host disease and therefore can help us to rapidly identify patients for whom standard treatment is likely to be insufficient,” says James L.M. Ferrara, M.D., co-lead author of the study and director of the U-M Combined Blood and Marrow Transplant Program. “This marker can also tell us whether a patient is likely to respond to therapy and may lead to an entirely new risk assessment for the disease. The findings were recently published online ahead of print publication in the journal Blood.
The marker, known as regenerating islet-derived 3-alpha (REG3-alpha), doesn’t prevent patients from still needing a biopsy, Ferrara cautions, but taken with other predictive indicators, it could help doctors to ensure patients get the most appropriate treatment as early as possible.
Doctors at U-M hope to start using the test clinically in early 2012.

source:- University of Michigan Health System

1 comment:

  1. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete